Thursday, September 1, 2016

Why I started using Essential Oils

Hi there. Been a while. Just gonna ignore that, and jump right in.

So I am super late to the essential oil game. I think DoTerra became popular like a century ago. When that happened I thought, "hey you crazy crack pots, go to the doctor. Oil does not cure the common cold." I want to say first and foremost: I was right. I think if anyone in my family is sick, I am very much in favor of going to the doctor. However, since having children, I have discovered that doctors get pretty PO'ed when you bring your child, who has a virus into their office. I have been kindly told essentially, 'go home, there is nothing we can do for you and you are wasting my precious time.'

However, I still have a baby waking himself up with a cough on occasion. We all know that baby sleep is precious both in the way that it is very cute and very necessary because it means that I can sleep. Consequently, when my second came around, I started to throw my hat into the essential oil ring. I know that there are varying degrees of oil. They range kind of like cars. There are crappy beater cars that are an embarrassment to drive in high school all the way up to Porsche quality. I tend toward New York Biology brand, which is kind of like a Ford quality brand. The functionality is great, and I really enjoy using these ones as they have a dropper and are very open about what they put in their products.

I have found that essential oils just plain help with things. My mom loves to use different oils for joint pain and what not. I actually went through an issue where my baby went on a nursing strike and I ended up with a plugged duct. This was painful AND super uncomfortable. I also was away from home at my parents, and didn't have a pump. Consequently, all I was allowed to do was use a warm compress. My mom had me take a warm bath with Lavender essential oil in it and rub some on myself as well. Now, I can't necessarily say it was the oil alone that helped. Perhaps it was the warm bath or the warm compresses I was using, but relief was nearly immediate, and my son started nursing soon after.

I started looking for oils, and have since found my favorite to be Peppermint, and yes, it is partially for the smell. But I also think it helps me with headaches, energy and most importantly, helps my kids with colds. I guess when there is a minor problem that doesn't warrant a doctor, it is nice to have something I can do to feel like I am helping. I think it may even actually work.

Disclaimer: I received Peppermint Essential Oil from New York Biology for my honest and unbiased opinion concerning their product. I feel like I was both these things.

Books I am Reading: Serafina and the Twisted Staff by Robert Beatty (hard cover) and Yes, Please by Amy Poehler (audiobook)

No comments:

Post a Comment