Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why We Hate the Water

Summertime if full of wonderful things. Barbeques, hikes, and any form of fun in the sun. We have been partaking liberally of all of these things. However, the water part of summer (my personal favorite, despite swim suits) has been a huge struggle for Packer.

I have been implementing 'Fun Friday' in our household. Pretty much, we just do something fun that wouldn't happen on a normal day. It's the day I plan fun stuff for us to do, usually free. We went to the free day at This is the Place Historic Park. Last Friday we attempted to visit the splash pad at City Creek (by 'we' I mean my Sister-In-Law Beth and her two girls and myself). This is how it went:

This was our first attempt. He didn't even get a squirt in the face, he got a light smattering of water. It was evidently traumatizing.

We tried again about 10 minutes later. Did NOT go well.

So, all in all, not well. We also have a pool at our apartment complex that we visit at least once a week. It is a struggle every time. I don't know if the pool is simply too vast (maybe I shouldn't force him to put his head underwater or float on his tummy) or the splash pad too surprising (water to the face is disconcerting). But this veteran swim team captain (ha ha -- it was only because I actually stuck it out 4 years, not because of talent) will not give up!

Good Book to Read: NO IDEA -- I honestly have not made this summer the awesome reading thing that summers usually are for me. I will work on this. Plus I am in a downward spiral on Netflix. I need some good movies to watch as well. 

2 comments:

  1. Please watch a kdrama and become my kdrama buddy and talk to me about korean culture and get sucked into endless Eat Your Kimchi youtube videos becasue those dang Korens make such quality entertainment. Maybe start with Secret Garden? (It's a kdrama with a stolen name, I know) I don't know why I think you'll like that one, but I when I think of you Secret Garden popped into my head.

    Moving on. My kids hated splash pads and pools and everything water until last year. They grow out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy! I bet as he gets older he will warm up to the idea of getting wet! Owen didn't much care for swimming last summer but this summer (at almost 2 years old) he is loving it!

    ReplyDelete