Monday, March 18, 2013

Overcoming Chall . . . Look A Squirrel!


So, I feel that every week for me has been increasingly filled with spiritual experiences. We also have had an increase in setbacks. I was really hoping that Jameson would get the Assistant Branch Manager position in Tooele, but they went with a candidate that lived in the area. I don't think Jameson is all that disappointed. Tooele was not his top pick to live in (sorry Jen).

People deal with disappointments in differing ways. Perhaps it is like grieving, and you need to go through the five stages of grief with every loss to be faced. In which case, Jameson and I kind of live in a perpetual state of denial, or distraction, as I like to call it.

So here is a top ten list of my favorite distractions:

1. Sex -- while it should NEVER be used to distract from problems, sometimes a good 'ole roll in the hay is just what the doctor ordered. I do believe that there is credence to the need to get laid (when you are married, or the consequences totally outweigh the benefits). I'm fairly sure dopamine is involved.

2. Bake -- I seriously do this a lot when I am stressed. Expect lots of random treats to show up at my neighbor's houses.

3. Exercise -- again, with the dopamine. Also, I sometimes feel that there is little that I can control in my life, and going for a run helps me feel like I can gain some measure of control over the 'natural man'.

4. Clean -- this also stems from the control thing. Turns out I'm a bit of a control freak. If there is a problem I feel particularly helpless with, I often will clean. For instance, I might not be able to help a grieving widow, but I can certainly have a clean microwave.

5. Read a Book. This is why I love fantasy novels -- they are a way that I can escape, and I don't feel bad about it because I am 'improving' my mind.

6. Watch TV -- I really only do this when I am seriously depressed and don't WANT to pretend like I am using my brain. I tend to consider it a total waste of time.

7. Social Networking -- I call this attending to my correspondence. It's how I keep in touch and stay in the lives of those who live far away. Kind of a losing myself in the lives of others.

So here are some cute pictures of our sweetest distraction:

He is a very happy little boy -- especially when he can go outside and smile in the sunshine

Jameson says that it looks like he is directing troops on an old British naval vessel. I think he looks like a cute little boy playing with a stick.


 Good Book to Read: The Lacemakers of Glenmara by Heather Barbeiri This book was so beautiful. The plot is a healing story of love and the prose is lyrical. So beautiful!

Good Song: Sweet Pea by Amos Lee







3 comments:

  1. Dang! I'm super sad you're not moving here. I was already imagining all of our adventures together. Ah, well. I laughed so hard at your reasons, and the fact that sex is number one, it's so true though.

    I liked that song, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sug -- I was super disappointed too. I seriously had some magnificent adventures lined up for us and our families. SAD DAY!!

      Delete
  2. Great pics:) My little boy's not quite as old as yours, but we're working on the whole sitting up thing:) Great blog:)

    ReplyDelete