Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Running Away


It is a little known fact that I accidentally ran away from home when I was 6/7. A friend and I went looking for friends to play with door to door and ended up far far far away from home. In retrospect, we are super lucky that I didn't fall prey to some horrible person. It wasn't until the police found us that I rethought our plan.

In my adult life, I have taken this adventurous and reckless spirit a different direction. Now I enjoy running away for exercise, and I usually take our little boy with me.

Both Jameson and I are currently training for various races. Jameson is far more adventurous/reckless than I and is training for the Spartan Race . It is 12 miles and filled with obstacles that he gets to tackle in June. I can't wait to watch him succeed. We are both super excited. He is training regularly with his friend, Taylor.

I train regularly with my friend, Packer. I am training for a Half Marathon in October. What that means now is that I am training for a 5K in May and a 10K in July. I haven't actually picked out which ones I will be doing, but I am excited never the less.  



Anyway -- we aren't super into fitness, but I think that running and exercise in particular helps us to run out the emotions. It is a way to run away from problems, without actually doing so. When I come back from exercising, I can always face my day with a little more energy to do the hard things. I know that one of the first things a doctor will ask regardless of why you are there, is if you are exercising regularly or not. Exercise not only creates a healthy body, but a healthy mind.

Here is our little healthy man:

We love to go outside together. He is such a sweet little man, and flaps his arms up and down when he is excited. I don't think he is particularly excited here.

He has taken to holding his hands up in the air whenever he eats. I think it is so I can tickle him under his arms.

Jameson and Packer had fun with the dryer :)
Good Article to Read: A 21 Minute Fix by David Willer -- This was the article this week that made me look at running not as drudgery, but as a way to gain a clearer perspective.

1 comment: