Monday, April 29, 2013

Keeping Momentum -- This Kind of Got Away From Me

So I always find myself ready to go at the beginning of the week. Monday I have lots of plans, and I generally carry them out. I'm motivated, happy and certainly not ready to have a psychotic break for one weak reason or another. I am a productive woman. On Mondays.

By Thursday, this empowered woman has decided that she is too tired to vacuum and sweep the floor. Even if it is the only day of the week she is supposed to do said chore. She usually just reads a book or watches a movie or sleeps when the baby sleeps.

You know this is old because he still has a binky.
To be honest, I love both of these sides of me, and think that both are perfectly natural. I am not a powerhouse of energy, and I never have been. There are a few things at the very top of my list that pretty much always get done (exercise, and make sure I don't kill Packer), the rest is kind of hit or miss. I suppose that in a lot of ways, this makes me flaky and/or lazy and/or human. If someone wants to label me with any of these things, that's okay by me.

These are old pictures -- but I am feeling Nostalgic
I think that a lot of women see the best in others, and compare it with the worst in themselves. I think that there are a lot more opposing character traits in each of us than we care to admit. I know that I go to someone's house and see how clean, organized and well decorated it is. Coming home to the slobs that seem to occupy my abode is irritating at the very least. However, I have found that the less I focus on how much I want to be like someone else or have what they have, the happier I am.
I know that these are all sleeping pictures, but I rarely get to see him actually asleep anymore. So it makes me smile in my mommy heart!
I also find all my friends also compare their children to other children. Sorry, let me rephrase, I have to battle this instinct in myself. I have a lot of friends who have children the same age as Packer. It seems to be a competition as to who crawls, walks and talks first or the best. While I think it is important to know the basic milestones that any child needs so that you can help your child reach them the best they can. However, I think it is a dangerous principle that children are bound to imitate. It is easy to be disappointed in a child who is constantly compared to someone else. Whereas, when you just ask a personal best, every small victory is cause for celebration.

This is from when we had to go back to the hospital. I often complain about Packer not eating solids, but in reality, I am just so thrilled he figured out eating at all!

Good Book to read: Divergent by Verionica Roth -- dystopian, young adult, fun fun in the sun!

Good Movie to watch: Big Trouble in Little China -- the plot does not make any sense, but it is the funniest show ever!

1 comment:

  1. Divergent is a great book! Have you read Insurgent yet?

    Um, I totally do this too, all of this. In fact I'm totally jealous that your baby crawls when my is content to just lie on the floor. Yeah, I need to work on that too. And Thursday's are freakin' hard. Who needs clean floors?

    ReplyDelete