Monday, April 22, 2013

Workin' it through Wheeler Farm

About a week ago, our family went to Wheeler Farm. This is a functional farm, a family tourist attraction, and also a wedding venue. I know. They have a diverse portfolio.



We went so that Packer could see the baby farm animals and get some sort of interaction with animals in general since we don't own any and he rarely sees them.





A few things struck me when we went to visit.

First: Yaks really do have bad breath. Not that I meant to get in it's face, but these things happen. So when my mother says "You have the breath of a thousand yaks" I have a pretty solid reference point now.



Second: Jameson gets pretty freaked out when Packer would touch an animal and then stick his hands in his mouth. This wasn't a surprise, but made letting Packer get involved in touching animals a little bit tricky.



Third: I was reminded of the hard work it takes to run a farm. I saw signs for FFA everywhere. While I was never a member of the FFA (in my infinite teen wisdom, I was sure it was filled with know-nothing hicks), I had a few friends who participated and raised animals. They are some of the most honest, hardworking people I know. In that respect, they are the type of people I want my son to be like.

I clearly understand that my son will have failings in his character. But there are a few things I really hope that I can curb as a parent. I hope that I can teach my child never to be intentionally mean, to have a measure of faith, and to avoid laziness.

The subject of entitlement and how much we hate it has cropped up in conversations Jameson and I have had over the course of our marriage. We don't live on a farm. My children won't really see concrete proof of the work that they do and how it relates to the success or failure of our family. I have read a lot of articles on this, and how to teach children the value of hard work. My conclusion: whatever you decide works for your family from chore charts to family businesses, the core concept is the same as with any other parenting principle. It will work as long as you are consistent over the long haul. The work a child consistently does in their life will teach them to work hard.

Good Book to Read: Nightingale by David Farland -- I originally bought this book because his family was suffering a tragedy and needed the book sales. It had won several awards, so although I didn't know much about it, I figured it was probably a win/win situation. It totally was!! This book made me really think about the power of our memories, and the ideas that define us. Very worthwhile young adult fiction.

Good Series to Watch: Madmen -- That's right, I finally broke down and watched a few episodes. I don't really like the story line or the characters, to be frank. But the costuming and design set are to die for. The portrayal of 1960 Madison Ave is positively entrancing. I almost died when the pregnant woman was drinking and chain smoking.

1 comment:

  1. This is such an interesting post! I liked this very much.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete