Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Right Words at the Right Time


I think I was about 10 years old the first time I stayed up reading a book all night. It was a glorious experience that has repeated itself many times (all Harry Potter books, opening night).

That said, I probably haven't read a sizable book in a day in ages. I am a mom and my reading time, while cherished, is limited. I shocked myself yesterday, threw caution to the wind, and let a book carry me away until midnight. It was Forbidden Sea by Shiela A Nielson.

It was looking at me from a shelf in the library and I picked it up on a whim. I am a bit of a lover of fantasy books from the 1970s. The cover art was reminiscent of these fantasies, so that might have been what drew me to it, however it was published in 2010. The description does not do it justice, and led me to believe that it would be Twilight all over again but with Mermaids.



I have never been more wrong. The plot centers around a young girl who is in a very difficult situation, and works really hard not just physically to help provide for her recently impoverished family, but also emotionally. She is often demeaned by those around her, and her incredible determined spirit is taken for granted. She is falsely accused of many things, but continues to show love to those around her (a little gruffly, at times).

This struck a cord with me because I have never felt so spiritually and emotionally rewarded at this point in my life, but I also feel keenly the sacrifices I have made. I gave up a career to stay home with my son, and my efforts as a mother are often more of the hugs and kisses variety, and less of the golden star on my report card for everyone to see.

This book helped me remember that what I want is to be a strong person for my family because I love them regardless of what others seem to think or say. I want to be kind in the face of skepticism and hold my head high that I had the courage to make a difficult choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment