Tuesday, August 10, 2010

J is for Journal

My mother gave me a wonderful book for my birthday, which at first glance looks like a children's book. The title is S is for Story authored by Esther Hershenborn and illustrated by Zachary Pullen. It is an alphabet for writers. It has some great tips and inspirational quotes on writing from famous and some not-so-famous but still wonderful authors. I feel it is important to mention that this book is signed by the illustrator.

One of the pages that stuck out to me the most was on Journals. I think it is widely regarded as true (mostly because it is true) that a large part of writing is just that. Writing. I remember in my Advanced Composition class in highschool, taught by the illustrious, if often high as a kite, Mr. Mork, we wrote 2 pages a day in a writing journal. It didn't matter so much what we wrote as long as we wrote something. This, almost more than anything else we learned in class, improved our writing. I believe that every good writer is also something of a journalist. Collecting the things that they love and then reflecting on them.

I therefore am trying to blog more. And perhaps one day this will even lead to a proper journal. Or perhaps it will dissipate and I will go back to once a week. Who knows?

"When I open my journal, it feels like I'm a child going into my room and closing the door." ~ Jacqueline Woodson

No comments:

Post a Comment