Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Birthday is Next Week

The title is just a reminder. I actually wanted to discuss something else: Winston Churchill. For those of you who need a refresher, click here:

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/

On my facebook, I recently published a quote from his famous speech.

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in anything, great or small, large or petty -- never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."

I love this quote, especially when I feel like giving in. Of course generally speaking, he said it in response to letting the Nazi's into England. I generally say in response to eating a second swiss roll. Regardless, here are some facts about this amazing man that I think are really great.

1. He came from an aristocratic family -- and his mother was American :)

2. He had a speech impediment that he worked on his entire life.

3. In 1899, Churchill went to South Africa as a war correspondent, and was captured and a POW during the Boer War. He escaped rather bravely and then continued to fight. Impressive.

4. His daughter starred in a movie with Fred Astaire (whom I love) in 'Royal Wedding'.

5. He painted more than 570 paintings and has been sold at major auctions.

6. Churchill once proposed to actress Ethyl Barrymore.

I chose to discuss Churchill because he overcame some pretty poor odds and I think that is something I can look up to and use. Of course, I like to think I have pretty good odds. This week hasn't been very special. And that may be something to celebrate. It means that my life continues to be hopeful and happy. There are always things to rock the boat, but never anything we can't overcome with friends, family, and God.

Great Series that we bought for funsies: Firefly by Joss Whedon

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Especially in response to eating another swiss roll. Well said! :)

    ReplyDelete