Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Modify

So I have a rule on Sunday for Jameson and I. It is that we can watch a movie if it is a documentary or a children's/family movie. It is a fairly loose rule with a lot of loopholes and is rarely enforced. Regardless, this Sunday, we watched the documentary Modify.

For my siblings -- I do not recommend this show. It was scarier than snot. It was about how people modify their bodies from tattoos to teeth to body building to gauges to plastic surgery to you name it. It showed people splitting their tongues and all kinds of nastiness. It really honestly traumatized me. It showed people doing suspension with hooks in their backs.

It brought up some interesting questions, like what is the difference between modification and mutilation. I think the general consensus was that if you do it to yourself, it's modification and if it is done to you, without your consent, then it is mutilation. It brought up questions of religion, and of course, most of the extremists had no faith, and therefore it wasn't a concern.

Ultimately, everyone kept saying, it's my body, I can do what I want with it. This made me think back to the lesson that we taught in nursery the very same day. Our bodies are not our own, they are on loan from the Lord. Paraphrasing from Elder Holland, the body and the spirit are the soul of man. When we abuse our bodies, whether voluntary or not, we are abusing our soul. This can come through anything from fornication to tattoos. We are meant to keep our bodies clean and pure, just like our spirits.

It was a good reminder.

Good Movie: Outsourced -- super cute little thing about a guy who goes to india to train employees in a call center.

3 comments:

  1. I loved Outsourced! They just started a TV show with the same premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the quote by Elder Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited about that outsourced business!

    ReplyDelete